Born in Denver, CO on Aug. 7, 1897, Curtis was a resident of Seattle before moving to Los Angeles in 1914. He was inspired to become an artist by his teacher Rob Wagner at Manual Arts High School. After working as a bank teller and serving in WWI, he soon was able to support himself as an illustrator. He served as official artist of the U.S. Antarctica Expedition in 1939-40 and again in 1957. About 1960 he changed his residence from Los Angeles to Twenty Nine Palms, California, with summers in Moose, Wyoming. An avid mountain climber, his studio in the Grand Tetons was a rustic log cabin. In 1972 he moved to Carson City, Nevada, where he remained until his demise on March 17, 1989. He is best known for his landscapes of the High Sierra, Grand Tetons, and Antarctica. His works won dozens of medals and prizes from the early 1920s in southern California shows. Member: Carmel Art Association; Artland Club. Exh: California Art Club, 1923-27; Laguna Beach Art Association, 1924; California State Fair, 1926; Cannell & Chaffin Gallery (Los Angeles), 1926; Ebell Club (Los Angeles), 1926; Painters & Sculptors of Los Angeles, 1926-31; National Academy of Design, 1930; Toledo Museum, 1931; American Painters & Sculptors, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1931, 1937 (solo), 1946 (solo); Oakland Art Gallery, 1932; Tuesday Afternoon Club (Glendale), 1934; Golden Gate International Exhibition, 1939; California Palace Legion of
Price on Request
A prominent landscape and marine painter, Jules Eugène Pages spent most of his career in France where he was a well-known Impressionist painter, but he maintained close ties to his native city of San Francisco and was influential in introducing that painting style to Northern California. He was born in San Francisco, California on May 16, 1867 and was raised in the artistic milieu of his father's engraving business, where he worked as an apprentice. In 1888 he sailed to Paris to study at Academie Julian under Jules Lefebvre, Benjamin Constant, and Fleury. After returning to San Francisco, he worked as an illustrator for the Examiner and Call newspapers. Upon returning to Paris in 1902, he began teaching night classes at the Academie Julian and served as its director. Pages gained international recognition while in France and was made a Chevalier of the Legion of Honor in 1910. In 1915 he exhibited at the Panama Pacific International Exposition and was a member of the International Jury of Awards. Although he remained in France for forty years, he returned to his native city often to visit and exhibit. At the outbreak of World War II, Pages returned to San Francisco and died there on May 22, 1946. He was a member of the Bohemian Club; International Society of Sculptors & Painters in Paris. He exhibited at the Paris Salon, 1895 with honorable mention, and won Gold Medals there in 1899 and 1905. He also exhibited at the Steckel Gallery in Los Angeles in 1909; at the Bohemian Club, 1924, solo exhibition; the California Palace of Legion of Honor, 1946 memorial exhibition.