Born in Bedford, IA on Jan. 24, 1884. Scott studied at the Boston Art School and with Richard Andrews, Edward Kingsbury, and E. Felton Brown. From 1910 he worked in San Francisco for the Commercial Art Company while living across the bay in Mill Valley. Settling in Los Angeles about 1930, he was a special-effects artist at 20th Century Fox Studios from 1933 until retirement in 1950. He died in Los Angeles on Oct. 6, 1959. A skilled painter, his works include desert landscapes of the area around Palm Springs. Exh: PPIE, 1915 (bronze medal); Oakland Art Gallery, 1928, 1929, 1932, 1939; Wilshire Gallery (LA), 1929; Calif. State Fair, 1931 (3rd prize); Calif. Art Club, 1935-41; Painters & Sculptors (LA), 1935-52; Academy of Western Painters (LA), 1935-38; Hollywood Riviera Club, 1936 (1st prize); LACMA, 1937; Gardena High School, 1939 (1st prize); Laguna Beach AA, 1939 (1st prize); GGIE, 1939; Pomona College, 1939; SWA, 1940s; Ebell Club (LA), 1941, 1944; Chaffey College, 1944; CPLH, 1945; Hollywood Woman’s Club, 1949. In: Haggin Museum (Stockton); Gardena (CA) High School; Chaffey College; Santa Monica Municipal Collection; Clearwater High School. Source: Edan Hughes, "Artists in California, 1786-1940"
Known as a California Impressionist influenced by Tonalism and also an early modernist painter, Karl Neuhaus was also an active lecturer and teacher. Neuhaus was born in Barmen (Wuppertal), Germany, in 1879. He apprenticed with a house painter while studying at the Royal Art School in Kassel, graduating in 1899. He proceeded to the Berlin Royal Institute for Applied Arts where he studied under Otto Eckmann, Max Koch and Carl Brunner. Neuhaus moved to San Francisco, California, in 1904 where he established a studio across a hallway from William Keith. While living in San Francisco he exhibited with the San Francisco Art Association and became a member of the Bohemian Club. After the San Francisco Earthquake in 1906 he relocated to the Monterey peninsula, in the town of Pacific Grove. There he was one of the founders of the Del Monte Art Gallery, which was the first gallery in the United States to show exclusively work by California artists. Between 1907 and 1909 he taught at the San Francisco Institute of Art, and from 1908 to 1949 he taught at the University of California, Berkeley. At the University of California, Berkeley he also served as the first chairman of the Department of Art between 1923 and 1925. During the 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition Neuhaus served as Chairman of the Advisory Committee for the West and was also an exhibitor. As a California landscapist he was known for his painted scenes of Mendocino, the Sacramento Valley, Santa Barbara, Monterey, and San Luis Obispo. He contributed to the art community by lecturing all over the state and was also known as a writer. During his career his work was exhibited at the Oakland Museum in 1981, and the Del Monte Gallery from 1907-14. Karl Neuhaus died in Berkeley, California in 1963.
Price on Request
Fredrick Wagner was born in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania in 1864. He received a scholarship to study art at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts under Thomas Eakins and in 1884 was made chief Demonstrator of Anatomy there. In 1885, Wagner left the Academy to make a painting tour of San Antonio, Texas, and then went on to Los Angeles, California, where he painted a number of landscapes and portraits. He returned to Philadelphia as an illustrator for the Philadelphia Press until 1902, and then moved to Norristown, Pennsylvania to paint full time. In 1912, Wagner opened a Philadelphia studio and taught classes in outdoor painting at Addingham, and later, at the Pennsylvania Academy's summer school in Chester Springs. His reputation grew, and he took on additional classes at his studio in the Fuller Building. In 1913, Wagner exhibited in the now famous Armory Show in New York City. He exhibited frequently at the Pennsylvania Academy's annual exhibitions, and in 1914, was awarded the Fellowship Prize. He was awarded Honorable Mentions from the Pittsburgh International, the Philadelphia Art Club, and the Carnegie Institute in 1922. His paintings are in the collections of the Cleveland Museum; St. Louis Museum, MO; Fort Wayne Museum, IN; Kalamazoo Museum, MI; Rochester Museum, NY; Worcester Art Museum, MA, and the Reading Museum, PA. Fred Wagner died in Philadelphia in 1940.
Price on Request
Born in Hilo, Hawaii on May 15, 1861. During 1885 Hitchcock was a pupil of Virgil Williams at the School of Design in San Francisco. After returning to the Islands, he studied for four years with Jules Tavernier. He continued at the NAD for one year and in Paris at Académie Julian (1891-93). He had studios in Hilo and later Honolulu where he was a leader in the budding art scene. He made extended trips to the mainland and always spent time with old friends in San Francisco. Hitchcock died in war-torn Honolulu on Jan. 1, 1943. He is today one of Hawaii's most revered early artists. Member: Kilohana Art League; Salmagundi Club (NYC); Honolulu AA. Exh: Paris Salon, 1893; Gump's (SF); Alaska-Yukon Expo (Seattle), 1907; St Francis Hotel (SF), 1912 (solo); Panama-Calif. Expo (San Diego), 1915; Honolulu Academy of Arts, 1936 (retrospective); GGIE, 1939; NY World's Fair, 1939. In: Honolulu Academy of Arts; Boston Museum; Oakland Museum; Bishop Museum (Honolulu). Source: Edan Hughes, "Artists in California, 1786-1940"